(13 Km from Halba)
To reach this castle take the main highway north out of
Tripoli. At 21 kilometers turn on the Homs fork to the right
and after 24 kilometers turn left for a few kilometers until
you arrive at the west side of castle.
This little Crusader fortress of Coliath,
built in the 12th century, was intended as a refuge for the
Frankish armies crossing the plain of Akkar. The moat, the
fortified outer walls, square towers, vaulted passages and
arrowslit windows guarantee the feel of a Crusader castle,
although it cannot compare with those that were built to
defend cities or strategic passes. Captured first by the
Ayyoubid Sayf ad-Dine Abou Bakr Al-Adil in 1207, and
reoccupied by the Crusaders, the castle was captured for the
last time in 1266 by the Mamluke Sultan Baibars.
This is an ideal spot from which to
appreciate the beauty of the Akkar plain, a rich agricultural
area whose planted fields are protected from erosion by
handsome stands of trees.