Tourism@Lebanon.com
dotline.gif (36 bytes)
Business & Community Services
    
   

(Monastery 33 km)

    The Greek Orthodox monastery of Saint George stands in a pine forest at Deir el-Harf, a small village above Ras el-Metn. Built around an open courtyard, it has a rust-colored stone church and communal buildings. While its exact origins are lost in the legendary past, the monastery's known history begins sometimes in the 18th century.


    The church itself dates to 1790 and possesses an iconostasis of wood as well as a collection of beautiful icons, mostly from the 19th century. The frescoes covering the walls and vaults were completed in 1971-72 by painters sent from Rumania.

        Back to top


Copyrightę 1995-2001  Lebanon.Com Interactive. All Rights Reserved.
Send comments and questions to E-mail: info@lebanon.com

Lebanon.Com Interactive U.S.A.  Beirut - Lebanon. Tel.: (961) 3 215430 - Fax: (961) 1 681722.