(40 Km from Halba)
Located near the village of Akkar al-Atiqa (Old Akkar), the
hour's hike to the castle begins at a bridge over a little
river, just where the road climbs steeply to the village of
Akkar al-Atiqa. The castle stands on a narrow spur at 694
meters but the best view is from the village itself - just
follow the road over the bridge.
Probably built in the late 10th century A.D. by Mouhriz Ibn
Akkar, the castle was taken by the Crusaders in the 12th
century and reconquered in 1271 by the Mamluke Sultan Baibars.
During the Ottoman period, it belonged to the feudal family if
the Banu Sayfa, then around 1620 it was partially destroyed by
Emir Fakhreddine II.
Although the castle is in ruins, you can
recognize two courts separated by a sort of ditch and
surrounded by five rectangular towers. The higher court
contains a vaulted cistern. The main tower at the southern
end, which is still in fairly good condition, is decorated
with a frieze of lions carved during restoration work carried
out by Sultan Ba´bars. From here there is also a splendid
view of the surrounding area.