The entrusted Prime Minister, Mr. Rafiq Al-Hariri met yesterday with the President of the Republic, Mr. Elias Al-Hrawi, in Baabda.
Al-Hrawi also received Minister Chawqi Fakhoury, besides the Minister of National Defense, Mr. Mohsen Dalloul, the Home Secretary, Mr. Michel El-Murr, and deputy Raji Abou Haydar.
The President of the Republic, Mr. Elias Al-Hrawi, and the entrusted Prime Minister, Mr. Rafiq Al-Hariri were yesterday visited by the Minister of Social Affairs, Mr. Estefan Eddwayhi, along with the general director of the Ministry, Mrs Nehmat Kanaan, and the technical director of population and buildings survey project, carried out by the Ministry in coordination with the United Nations.
At 11:00 A.M. this morning, the committee on watching cease-fire, stemming from April agreement, will hold a meeting to discuss the Lebanese claim against Israeli, after the Israeli bombardment of Ellwayzeh, a southern villages causing a woman to be seriously wounded.
A delegation of the committee, including its French vice-president, Mr. Jean Michel Goussot, chief commandant Francois Dubas and major Stephan Fidaj, visited yesterday the president of the parliament, Mr. Nabih Berreh. Ellwayzeh population, on the other hand, held yesterday a press conference, during which they brought up the situation in their village, under the Israeli shelling.
Back from the U.S.A., deputy Isam Fares regretted the way corruption charges were exchanged between officials. Fares urged dealing with the social situation, for one third of the Lebanese people were under the line of poverty, and asked for an economic and educational uplifting.
Fares also urged the Lebanese Justice to bear its responsibilities about the scandals of administrative corruption, since people wanted nothing but the truth, the whole truth. He added that a new mentality to work for the public interest is required.
The Maronite Patriarch, Cardinal Nasrallah Boutros Sfeir received yesterday in Bkerkeh, a delegation of the Gathering for Democracy in Lebanon , headed by Dr. Edmond Naim, who declared the visit was to discuss the actual political situation in the country, and propose solutions, in order to have a real Lebanese democracy.
Sfeir also met with a French delegation, then bishops Roland Abou Jaoudeh and Boulos Assayah. The Maronite Patriarch, on the other hand, will travel tomorrow to the Vatican, Where he will take part in preparing the apostolic guidance for Lebanon. Therefore, the monthly meeting of the Maronite Bishops Council will be held today instead of Wednesday tomorrow.
Under the patronage of the Minister of Tourism, Nicolas Fattouch, the French Cultural Center in Zahleh organized a photo Exhibition, entitled " Pictures for the Heritage, and with the Heritage month 96".
The Exhibition included slide photos from the Roman architecture, which were explained by professor of archeology Alexy Mokarzel.
Minister Fattouch also delivered a speech, in which he noted that a people without heritage, would remain without history, and thus be forgotten. He added that Lebanon's ancient monuments are unique in the whole world.
On the occasion of Assayedah Azzahra birthday, Martyr Bilal Fahs high school, hosted the head of the High Islamic Shiite Council, Sheikh Mohammed Mehdi Shams Eddine, who held a lecture on the occasion calling for the new government to handle social issues and deal with the critical situation in the region.
* The Agriculture Minister, Mr. Chawqi Fakhoury assured that Libya was going to import, starting on November 22nd 1996, 10 thousands tons of Lebanese apples, and starting on November 15th 1996, unlimited quantity of Lebanese grapes. Fakhoury insisted, on the other hand, that the Lebanese exporter would stick to quality conditions.
* The general director of the Ministry of Interior Affairs Mr. Attallah Ghocham, called in a note all citizens who didn't register their cars yet, to go to the offices of the Registry of Motor Vehicles and pay their dues, otherwise, they would be subject to punishment by police forces.
* The Ministry of Industry and Petroleum decided to reduce the price of one tank of fuel oil 300 L.P. Thus, the new price became 7300L.P, instead of 7600L.P. The companies of distribution of petroleum declared, however, this decision would provoke a crisis, for the Ministry didn't reduce the price of gas.
* The gathering of Abou Mizan and Nahr Ibrahim quarries owners described the decision to close their quarries too rushed without other alternatives, and it was not realistic to talk about changing the sites of the quarries. The gathering also promised to take legal actions.
* The governor of the Bank of Lebanon declared in a note that new paper money of 20000 L.P., were to be circulating, starting November 4th. 1996.
* A delegation of the International Union for Agriculture Drugs Producers arrived yesterday in Beirut, to participate in the 1st regional symposium in the Middle East, to be held on November 5th. and 6th. 1996, in Printania Hotel, Broummana.
Today starts the 7th. period of the Lebanese football series. At 14:30 this noon, 3 games are to be held:
1-Al-Homentmen v/s Al-Hekmeh (at Tripoli local stadium)
2-Al-Bourj v/s Assafa (at Saida local stadium)
3-Al-Homenmen v/s Chabab Assahel (at Bourj Hammoud local stadium)
Back to Lebanon.com Local News Wire